About Angelus Oaks, California
Angelus Oaks is an unincorporated town in San Bernardino County, California, USA, and has a population of 289. It is located north of Mentone, California on State Highway 38. Its downtown consists of a general store (currently closed), a restaurant, a post office (zip code 92305), a real estate office, and a United States Forest Service office. Within town are two commercial lodges for overnight visitors. Originally Camp Angelus was served only by the National Forest Service; now Angelus Oaks is served by the San Bernardino County Fire Department Station 98 and two private water companies. The original school was a log cabin on a hill located behind and rented from Glen Lodge. The lodge had a full restaurant, bar, gas and repair station, grocery store, hotel, cabins, and a dance hall with a large fireplace. In 1953 the first teacher, originally from South Dakota and a graduate of USC, was Orville Young. He lived with his family in Camp Angelus and taught the community children from 5 years of age to 13 years old at Camp Angelus Elementary. In 1956 the natural wood clad (later painted red) one-room school house serving grades 1-7 was built and closed permanently in 2004. Glen Lodge burnt down in the late sixties.A few miles past Angelus Oaks, in the Barton Flats area, there are multiple public Forest Service campsites and group camps run by various churches and non-profit organizations, including YMCA. The two largest and most active camps are the Boy Scout Camp Tahquitz (formerly Camp Tulakes) owned by The Long Beach Boy Scouts (It was developed from a very primate summer tent camp with one snack store to one serving thousands of scouts year round with a mess hall. clinic, garage/fire station, swimming and fishing lake, camp offices, and ranger's quarters developed, built, and maintained under the watchful eye of the Camp Ranger, Glen McIntosh from 1957 until his death in 1981), and Camp Cedar Falls, three miles passed Angelus Oaks on Highway 38 run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Jenks Lake hosts fishing and some swimming activities.Angelus Oaks was initially called Camp Angelus. In the 1970s, when the postal service decided to combine the two small post offices of Camp Angelus and Seven Oaks, closing the Seven Oaks location, they renamed the remaining office "Angelus Oaks". That name stuck with the town.