About Westminster, Colorado
The city of Westminster is considered as a part of Adams and Jefferson counties, in the large state of Colorado. It is a suburb of Denver and the seventh most thickly populated city in Colorado. It has a total land area of 32.9 sq. mi, and located approximately 13 miles northwest part of downtown Denver, the states capital. In the past, the area where the city lies was the former home of the buffalos and antelopes as well as the Arapaho Indians. When gold was discovered in the area in 1858 and the implementation of Land Act of 1862, settlers came from the east and transferred in the area to establish a new community hoping for the fortune. Pleasant DeSpain was among the very first permanent settler of the area and named it as DeSpain Junction in 1870. In 1881, Edward Bruce Bowles built the towns train depot while C.J. Harris, a real estate developer from Connecticut, bought some land in the area and named it as Harris (it was also called as the Darell Park) in 1885. Harris was incorporated as a city in 1911 and was renamed again for the last time as the city of Westminster, after Westminster University. The Westminster Castle, or The Big Red Castle, began its construction in 1890 and was completed in 1893. It is also called as Pillar of Fire and currently owned by the Pillar of Fire Church. Today, the castle is considered as a historic landmark of the city and also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.