About Tate, Georgia
Tate is an unincorporated town in Pickens County, Georgia, United States. Originally called Marble Works post office by the United States Postal Service, then Harnageville after Ambrose Harnage, it was the first county seat for Cherokee County, which functioned as a large territory rather than a true county during the State of Georgia initial organization of the final Cherokee territory within the state. Elections for a full county government were held in 1832, and court was held at the Harnage house. Prior to that time many county government functions were administered by adjacent counties. In December 1832 Cherokee county was divided into 7 other counties. It was renamed after Colonel Sam Tate in 1880.Tate includes the main quarries of the Georgia Marble Company, a new division of the second largest stone company in North America, Polycor. The quarries are internationally known for their marble quality, and are served by the Georgia Northeastern Railroad. It is also served by nearby Interstate 575 from metro Atlanta, which ends into State Route 515 just to the south in Nelson. Former State Route 5 is the main street through town, though the GDOT has moved that number onto 575 and 515 now.The Tate House is a historic home that once served as a restaurant and bed & breakfast in Tate. It now does business as a facility for weddings and other special events. Other variant names for this place include Harnages, Harnage, and Tateville.