About Waukegan, Illinois
Waukegan city is in Lake County at 13km south of the Wisconsin border and 64km north of Chicago downtown at 669 feet elevation above sea level. According to the 2000 census, Waukegan had 87,901 total populations then at 2003 its population reached 91,452. It is the 9th largest city in terms of population in Illinois and it is the 5th largest city on Lake Michigans western shore after Milwaukee, Chicago, Green Bay, and the Kenosha Wisconsin. In 1673, Jacques Marquette visited Waukegan that made it one of the oldest places in Illinois. This city started as a trading post of French and settlement of Potawatomi Indians known as the Little Fort. The 1829 record showed a treaty that was signed by the Potawatomis. Written on the treaty was the agreement that they ceded all their land to the Federal Government. In 1841, the Little Fort was changed to County Seat of Government by its population virtues replacing the Libertyville. In the mid of 1844 and 1846, the population of the town grew from 150 people to 750 people. Then in 1849 when it was incorporated, it reached the populace of 2,500. On March 31, 1849, the Little Fort as it grows and can no longer characterized as its name, the residents changed it to Waukegan. Waukegan is a Potawatomi word meaning trading post or fort. Today, as the city grows more beautiful and populated, they have become a good place for tourist to spend their holidays as well as other people wanting a permanent residence in the city.