About Richmond, Indiana
Known as the Cradle of Recorded Jazz, the city of Richmond is part and county seat of the Wayne County in east central region in the state of Indiana. The Quaker families were the first inhabitants in the area when they arrived in 1806. They came from the state of North Carolina as part of the westward migration that happened after the American Revolution. Until now, some of the Quaker institutions such as the Earlham School of Religion, Friends United Meeting, and the Earlham College are still in Richmond. Richmond is formerly known as the lawnmower capital in the past, particularly in the late years of 1800s until the middle part of the 1900s, due to the existence of several lawn mower manufacturers in the city like F&N, Davis, Dille-McGuire, and Motomower. The city is also recognized as the Rose City and to commemorate this they are celebrating the annual Richmond Rose Festival that usually happens during summer as one of the main attraction in Richmond. The remarkable landmarks in the city are the Pennsylvania Railroad Station built in 1902 and the Wayne County Court of House which was established in 1893. These two architectural wonders along with other significant buildings in the Depot District are included in the National Register of Historic Places. Moreover, the Purdue University School of Technology, Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana, Indiana University East, and the Earlham College are among the educational institutions in the city. The first recordings of the jazz music were first recorded in Richmond by Gennett Records.