About Ijamsville, Maryland
Ijamsville is an unincorporated community located 7 miles southeast of Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County, Maryland, United States. In 1785, a gentleman by the name of Plummer Ijams became the first recorded resident of what would become Ijamsville. Plummer Ijams died on June 14, 1796. His son, John, developed a gristmill that became a center of community life in the area, which became known as Ijams Mill.Around 1800, the Duvall brothers (John, William, and Thomas) founded slate quarries that provided slate tiles for roofs. The slate became known as Ijamsville Phyllite. In 1831, Plummer Ijams II granted a right of way to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to construct tracks on the condition that the railroad build him a depot that became known as Ijams Mill.Initially, the "railroad" was horse-drawn. The first "train" arrived on March 13, 1832. On June 22, 1832, the US Post Office Department established a post office at Ijams Mill that became known as Ijamsville. Plummer Ijams II was the first postmaster. One of his successors was Lemuel Mussetter.Ijamsville became the site of a small town, including a local store. In 1896, a Dr. Riggs founded a sanitarium for nervous and mental patients on the site which is now known as Gabriel?s Restaurant. Over a thousand patients were treated at that institution.For more information on the history of Ijamsville, see Ijamsville ? The Story of a Country Village by Charles Moylan, available in the Maryland Room of the Frederick County Public Library.