About Wolf Island, Missouri
Wolf Island is an unincorporated community in eastern Mississippi County, Missouri, United States. It is located on Route 77 about nine miles east of East Prairie. The community was founded in 1792 and is named for Wolf Island in the Mississippi River, which is part of Kentucky. After left their headquarters at Cave-In-Rock In 1799, Samuel Mason and his gang of river pirates, left their headquarters at Cave-In-Rock and relocated on the Kentucky island. The Eastern Timber Wolf was native to this region, but has since been extirpated.