About Two Dot, Montana
Two Dot is a small unincorporated community in west-central Wheatland County, Montana, United States, along the route of U.S. Route 12.The town got its name from the cattle brand of George R. Wilson (1830-1907), who donated the land for the town. "Two Dot Wilson" had a cattle brand that was simply two dots, placed side by side on the hip of his cattle. The name stuck and the town's name has become somewhat of a Western legend. , Many think it does not exist, but it clings to life along the arid banks of the Musselshell River in central Montana. The Mussellshell River and the town of Two Dot are located where many of the legends of the West were forged. Fierce Indian tribes and Free Trappers held this hostile, yet beautiful country home. It is a windy and harsh climate that make for a rugged and independent population. The town was a station stop on the now-abandoned transcontinental main line of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad ("the Milwaukee Road"), and was the site of one of the substations of the railroad's electrification project. Two Dot was founded in 1900 as a station on the Montana Railroad, local predecessor to the Milwaukee Road.For much of the town's history, two variant spellings of the town's name were in use: "Two Dot," and "Twodot." The "Two Dot" spelling is now generally accepted as being correct, and the name of the town's post office was officially changed from Twodot to Two Dot in 1999.